Default tomcat installation uses 8080 port. This is not preferred way when you present your web application over a top-level domain. I needed this information for my new sites gamenism.com/game and onlineuml.net/modeler. Below I am describing how to bind port 80 to Tomcat 7.
- Backup /var/lib/tomcat7/conf/server.xml
- Open /var/lib/tomcat7/conf/server.xml for editing. Find the part beginning with "<Connector"
As highlighted below, change the value of port attribute to 80.
<Connector port="80" protocol="HTTP/1.1" connectionTimeout="20000"
- Backup /etc/default/tomcat7 file
- Open /etc/default/tomcat7 file for editing.
- Find the line containing "AUTHBIND" property. This line should be commented. Uncomment it.
- Set AUTHBIND property to YES. This is required to bind a port to a process which is less than 1023.
- Restart tomcat 7
sudo /etc/init.t/tomcat7 restart